March is recognized as Poison Prevention Awareness Month and this year, March 17-23 marks National Poison Prevention Week.

With many common household items toxic to pets, it’s important to educate yourself to ensure you keep unsafe items out of paw’s reach.

It can happen to even the best pet owners—you turn around for one moment (or accidentally leave medication or chocolate on the counter) and your pet ingests a potentially harmful or fatal pet poison.

Many items commonly found around our homes can be dangerous to pets, including:

For dogs:

  • Chocolate, particularly bakers and dark chocolate.

  • Xylitol, the sweetener used in sugarless gums and candies, as well as some medications.

  • NSAIDS, such as ibuprofen and naproxen found in products like Advil and Aleve.

  • Over the counter cough, cold and allergy medications.

  • Rodenticides (mouse poison).

    For a complete list of pet toxins, visit the Pet Poison Helpline at www.petpoisonhelpline.com. You can also view the Top Pet Toxins of 2017 as reported by the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center.

Pet owners should contact their veterinarian or a pet poison helpline immediately if they suspect their pets have ingested a potentially toxic item.



Comment